Saturday, June 13, 2009

Are we rednecks or what?!?

Sitting in the front yard this evening, it occurred to me that we couldn't look more like a redneck family if we tried to this evening! And if I had the ability to capture time in a bottle, surely I would have chosen to do it this evening!

We've had such a busy week, so today we purposely made an effort to stay at home, and it has been sooo very nice! Surprisingly, none of us slept in this morning...I guess we were eager to just have a day at home! And I know that we've all been busy doing this or that around the house, but I'm surprised to say that the house doesn't show for it! Oh well! Tomorrow's another day! Right?!?

This week while L and I were out gallivanting around town while the girls were at music camp, we caught a great sale on meats at Sams, and yesterday we enjoyed picking up some fresh veggies and fruits at Linda's Produce. So today Ricci made an incredible spice rub, and we were all looking forward to ending our day with a yummy cookout!

But this evening if you had driven by, you would have thought we were such happy rednecks! You would have seen Ricci diligently watching over his grill, my sitting beside him (in my newly white painted Adirondack chairs!) snapping beans while we were watching Lovey ride her bike with training wheels up and down the driveway while AngelWings was manning the 'boom box' (her mp3 player attached to some speakers was sitting atop the back of Ricci's car) for Cricket who was proudly singing "Ready to Run"! Yes, the girls were puttin' on a "Creekbend" (instead of Riverbend) show for us. There was Cricket singing, standing atop my gardening bench and singing with all of her might...

"Oh yeah!
Ready, ready, ready, ready....ready to run!
All I'm ready to do is have some fuuu-uuuun!
What's all this talk about looo-vvvve!"
Such fun, blessed days! The joyful sounds of the children's voices, the smell of Ricci's grill, Sir-Barks-a-lot sitting at my feet, plenty of fresh air, our health (nothing more than tiny scratches and bruises from various bike falls), and the excitement of eating our yummy dinner! Yes, if I could capture time in a bottle, surely I would have chosen to do it this evening!

"That's the news from Lookout Mountain, where all the women are strong,
all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average!"

2 comments:

Gramma Jones said...

What a wonderful way to spend a day with family. There is nothing better. Love you

Shelly said...

I love it! And I love Prairie Home Companion- it reminds me of being back in Wyoming. And of course, I love the Dixie Chicks, both sets(yours and the band)!