Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy "National Handwriting Day"!

Happy early "National Handwriting Day"!

What a great holiday (we like to celebrate everything around here!), and I didn't know that this holiday exists! Just FYI...January 23 is National Handwriting Day, also John Hancock’s birthday!

Handwriting allows us to be artists and individuals during a time when we often use computers, faxes and e-mail to communicate. Fonts are the same no matter what computer you use or how you use it. Fonts lack a personal touch.
Handwriting can add intimacy to a letter and reveal details about the writer’s personality. Throughout history, handwritten documents have sparked love affairs, started wars, established peace, freed slaves, created movements and
declared independence.
"Though computers and e-mail play an important role in our lives, nothing will ever replace the sincerity and individualism expressed through the handwritten word," said Robert B. Waller Jr., WIMA’s executive director.

By the end of the day today, I'm determined to wrap up our hand-written thank you notes from the Christmas holidays! No...sadly, I'm not finished...this is an area where the perfectionist side of me always seems to take over! And the ones that I have written are still laying by the front door awaiting their delivery! I do have only a couple more to write, and then we're d-o-n-e (as Lovey says)! Actually, the girls finished their thank you notes on the first or second day of the new year...and now I just have a few more to complete! My struggle (however) is getting them to the post office! For some reason, I can write a note, address and even stamp it...then it sits by the door waiting to be delivered to the post office! Would you believe that I even took the girls to a field trip to the post office and didn't deliver the notes that I've already written?!? Urghh! That's okay...I saw the letters' laying on the seat next to me when we got back inside the car, so I politely asked one of the girls to get back out in the freezing cold and take'em inside for me! (Aah...the pleasure of having extra hands to help!)

And I'm sure some of you are wondering why I won't just put them in the mailbox with the flag up...well, I have a perfectly good answer to that! When I was complaining about my inability to get things to the post office, mom asked me what you're wondering....and I told her that I didn't know why I wouldn't put things into the mailbox, and like a very-good-momma [;)], she told me...when I was young there was a time that young kids were going through our neighborhood, taking mail out of every one's mailboxes, opening them up, taking what they wanted (we assume they were looking for cash) and then leaving the remains out of the way. Well, poor me is still suffering from the what~if's in my lovely 'black & white' world and wanting to assure myself that the letters that I have written with great joy are being delivered to my loved ones...perfectly laid in their mailboxes awaiting their successful delivery!

No comments: